The EBSN’s vision is to make sure that all inhabitants of Europe have the level of basic skills they need to have access to lifelong learning, ensure their employability and be active citizens.
The network’s members contribute to better policy and practice for the enhancement of basic skills in the European population by
- benchmarking national policy and effects
- exchanging examples of promising policy and practice at national or regional level
- creating a common knowledge area through the exchange and distribution of research results
- facilitating cooperation between European stakeholders
- raising awareness about relevant issues
- creating a common pool of resources
- establishing cooperation with relevant stakeholders outside Europe
The network has also established some more concrete activities and areas of cooperation with the European Commission.
EBSN’s vision and objectives are also reflected in the conference declarations that are co-authored and approved by the participants of the annual conferences of the network.