The European Basic Skills Network, EBSN, is a non-profit association gathering policy makers and policy providers engaged in basic skills training for adults.
It aims at promoting excellence in policy design and policy implementation, at European, national and regional level, in a field that has considerable impact on education, employment, social inclusion, the fight against poverty, and sustainable economic growth.
The network’s main focus of attention is on five of the main basic skills: literacy, numeracy, digital competence, oral communication and second language for immigrants. Other skills, in particular entrepreneurship, soft skills and other key competences may be added to this list in the near future.
Our thematic focus is mainly on policy measures regarding
- basic skills for individual development, active citizenship and employability
- quality of provision and teacher training
- promotion of research in the field
- flexible access of adults to basic skills training
- motivational issues
- basic skills in vocational training (embedded learning)
- basic skills and validation of prior learning
- basic skills and guidance
- conceptual development from basic skills to key competences