The General Secretariat for Lifelong Learning & Youth (GGDVMNG) of the Ministry of Education Research and Religious Affairs has the task of designing lifelong learning public policy, formulating relevant rules, preparing the corresponding national Lifelong Learning program and overseeing its implementation. Specifically, the institution
- supervises and manages the initial and continuing vocational training systems, as well as general adult education
- Sets the educational context of all units of initial and continuing vocational training in general and non-formal education
- coordinates, evaluates and supports the National Network for Lifelong Learning
- Plans and manages lifelong Learning projects of national importance
- Studies and leverages best practices in European and international level and manages European and co-financed by the European Union programs
- endeavor to ensure the quality of training services and general adult education
- arranges the participation of members of vulnerable social groups in lifelong learning programs and the training and continuous support of the staff of lifelong learning providers of Regions and Cities,
- sets up and maintains Lifelong Learning providers and Citizens Qualifications Registers, and
- promotes initiatives and actions implementing programs related to youth.
National / international impact
The Vocational & training institutes operate under the supervision of the General Secretariat for Lifelong Learning & Youth, aimed at high school graduates. Basic skills opportunities are provided by the Second Chance Schools for adults who have no high school diploma.
General adult education programs and Greek lessons for immigrants are provided by the Lifelong Learning Centers in the municipalities.
There are Institutes for Vocational education for disabled people and Second Chance Schools for prisoners.
Towards a better coordination and development in the field of prisoners’ education there has been created a specialized department with this responsibility.