Lire et Ecrire Communauté française a.s.b.l.
Lire et Ecrire is a non-profit organization set up in 1983 by some associations supported by the two main workers’ movements (christian and socialist).
It is composed by:
3 coordinating bodies: French- speaking community, Wallonia and Brussels.
8 regional centres in Wallonia and 6 district centres in Brussels
About 300 salaried workers, 130 volunteers and more than 5,000 learners are involved in our action.
Lire et Ecrire is supported and funded by the Ministry of Culture and Popular Education (French-speaking Community), the Walloon Region, the Brussels Region and the European Union.
Some of our objectives are defined as follow (more detailed in our Charter)
- focussing public opinion and the authorities on adult literacy and the urgent need to combat its causes and provide solutions;
- increasing the number of literacy training centres for young people and adults, helping them to become autonomous and independent ;
- seeking means of creating effective structures to combat illiteracy within the French-speaking Community of Belgium
Our beneficiaries are low-skilled or low-qualified adults, job seekers or workers, with linguistic difficulties. They haven’t got school certificates and are longing for quality literacy provisions
The aim is not only learning how to calculate, read and write or improving communication skills in French but also to acquire a better understanding of the social, cultural, economic and political environment in which they are living in order to fight against the mechanisms which produced their social exclusion.
To reach these objectives we carry on different activities: political lobbying at Federal and Community levels; raising awareness campaigns; developing joint research and educational methods; proposing orientation services and pedagogical advice etc.
We edit a periodical review ‘Le journal de l’Alpha’, where we inform, raise debate and provide pedagogical tools and exchanges.
We promote international relations, mainly with UNESCO and the European Union. We are member of EAEA, EBSN and ICAE. We are in touch with different European countries and regions and with extra European countries or regions as Morocco and Quebec.
We are currently coordinating a large European Grundtvig project, called EUR-ALPHA. The main scope is to promote exchanges between literacy and numeracy practitioners, learners, researchers, policymakers in order to improve the educational practices facilitating learner’s empowerment, self-determination and participation. It was launched in 2009 and counts 16 partners coming from 12 different countries (www.eur-alpha.eu).
- All publications of Lire et Ecrire: http://www.lire-et-ecrire.be/Publications?mots%5B%5D=47
- 2019 Memorandum on Literacy: http://www.lire-et-ecrire.be/Cahier-de-revendications-2019
- The literacy website (FR): http://www.alphabetisation.be/
- Alpha Publications (FR): http://publications.alphabetisation.be/content/blogsection/4/82/
- Results of the statistic survey in 2010 (FR): http://communaute-francaise.lire-et-ecrire.be/images/documents/pdf/2010_enquete.pdf
- Eur-Alpha (EN): http://www.eur-alpha.eu/?debut_bott_ltsttransl=10&lang=en
- Training with tools : ‘Public libraries and literacy’ (FR): http://communaute-francaise.lire-et-ecrire.be/content/view/232/132/
- Spring University (FR): http://communaute-francaise.lire-et-ecrire.be/content/view/231/132/
- PASS Project: http://communaute-francaise.lire-et-ecrire.be/content/blogcategory/37/107/